Getting Inked

Everything and everyone has a story. Often, these stories are expressed through ink. Here I hope to share some experiences stated through the ink of tattoos and the ink of poetic writings. Some will be personal, and some will be through the lives of others.

If you have an inked story to share, let me know (jk.ink.mail@gmail.com). Send in a photo and your story and I will feature it here.

Even after the ink dries, the meaning underneath runs.

Enjoy.

5/4/09

Change is Constant

Dana's (NC) story of her first tattoo:

Ever since my rebellious times in undergrad when I got my tongue pierced and did some crazy things, I've wanted to get a tattoo. What I wanted, I wasn't exactly sure, but I knew I would know it when I saw it.

Fast forward to 4 months ago. I was chatting on the phone with my bf,Kristi (who already has 1 tattoo) and telling her about my "secret" of wanting to get one. I told her about how I was thinking about getting some inspirational quote on my wrist, but I was nervous that it'd be seen at work. She told me how she wanted to get "one step at a time" on her foot. Our convo was something like this:

Me: yea, I was thinking about believe or something like that on my wrist..
K: thats cute, I thought about that too, but I think I want "one step at a time" on my foot. I really want something on my wrist tho, but it'd be stupid to put that on my wrist...
Me: (not really understanding why that would be stupid) Oh yea. that's dumb.
K: Yeah, so anyways, I think I'm going to get it on my foot. I saw one online I really liked.
Me: Yea, I dont know yet...
our convo continues to talking about recent sales at Express then 5 minutes later...
Me: OH!!!!!!! I GET IT NOW... ONE STEP AT A TIME... LIKE STEP, LIKE YOUR FOOT. NOW I GET WHY IT'D BE STUPID TO PUT IT ON YOUR WRIST!

Anyway, after she told me about that, I really thought about it and really liked it. My best friends and I planned my 25th birthday weekend in Myrtle Beach and Kristi and I decided to get our tattoos together. For weeks, I asked everyone to show me what it felt like because I was so scared and nervous that it would hurt so bad. Well, there's nothing that really can compare to the feeling of getting jabbed with a needle for 20 minutes, but I feel like it was well worth it. It's a constant reminder to me that I need to just take things one step at a time. Life is always crazy and changing and its best if you just take it slow. I often get caught up in the moment and need to learn to appreciate things more often, so this is helping me get to that point. It is also very meaningful to me because of the great company that I got it with. I've been best friends with Kristi for like 13 years and wouldn't want anyone else sporting the same thing ontheir foot then her.

Even when you think you know what you want, meaning can come from anywhere. Know who you are, what you want, and cherish those who get that about you.

No comments: